Sunday, June 10, 2012

Practicing Colors

So one of my favorite things about summer is that I can stay up late crafting and creating and no alarm clock goes off the next morning.


Last night, while searching Pinterest as I always do after putting my little man down, I came across a cute idea for printing story boards out to use on a felt board. I thought it would be cute to just create it out of felt instead. I decided to make some colored baby chicks in eggs to help Little Man learn to say his colors. He is able to point the colors out when I ask, but only says blue, yellow, brown, and black. 

I didn't start out with a pattern...I just kind of went for it, and figured felt is cheap, I will see what happens. Surprisingly my first little chick turned out well. I didn't want to press my luck, so I made him into a template and made the 5 other chicks.

Then I needed a felt board, I have been wanting to make one since last year. I found an old frame, took out the glass, and cut a piece of white felt. I glued the felt onto the backing of the frame, and done! All I need to do is hang it up in the playroom.

I used the brown background so the eggs wouldn't blend into the white. I put a small piece of Velcro on the four corners of the brown piece so that I could change out the background when needed. I also put Velcro on the back of the chicks. 

W(My little man) loved pulling the chicks off the board and squishing them all in his fist...such a boy.

Some activities W and I did with the colored chicks...

- I would ask him to give me a specific colored chick
- I pulled off or pointed to a chick and asked him what color it was...he only says a few colors right now, but can point out most common colors.
-Count the chicks
- Sort chicks by color with other items
-Sing songs about chicks or colors

With Love,
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like

Blog Widget by LinkWithin